Wednesday, November 7, 2012

First Day

Day 2

This morning found me thinking a lot about what I'll be wearing today.  Which is funny since it's the first full day into my year.  But the habit is there.

So I donned the dress, and a pair of leggings and a sweater.  And am trying not to be critical in my thoughts.  Today I've started with a bit of naysaying about this process, about the feasability, about my intentions behind it, about whether I like the dress (I do), about if it's worth it.  So I'm working my way away from those thoughts.  Those kind of thoughts rarely produce a situation that makes me feel better or gets anything done.

I'd like to get around to emptying my closet today.  And my dresser drawers.  Right now I have half a closet of clothes, three large dresser drawers and a large tub.  I'd like to remove everything but what I will be wearing.  Lovingly pack it all away until next Fall.  I am excited to see an empty closet, except for my lone wardrobe of one dress, a pair of capris, one long sleeved t-shirt, a sweater and 2 dresses of the same color and style.  It will look so luxurious in that big old empty closet.

Here's a picture of half of my half of the closet:

Doesn't it look cramped and sardine like?

Do you see all those lovely fabrics and prints?

Do you see that unused splash jacket way against the wall that I've worn once in the last few years?

How about that maternity sweater that I haven't gotten around to putting in the maternity clothes bucket?

What you can't see is the other half of my half that has a large tub our out of season clothes in it, a bunch of shoes that I rarely wear, and even more sweaters.

And a laundry basket on my floor full of clean clothes that still need to be hung up.  That I haven't hung up because I plan to pack them away. (I took a picture for you, but it just looked messy, and it's too early in our relationship for me to show you how messy I can be.)


But I have a LOT of stuff to do today.  I am presenting at a conference this weekend, and have to leave tomorrow afternoon and I'm still polishing my .ppts.  And I also have a client meeting this morning and work to do for actual clients.  And a slightly messy house that I'd like to clean before leaving for my conference, and grocery shopping to do.

So I don't know if I'll get to packing everything away today or not.

But I'm wearing the dress.  And happy to be doing so.

6 comments:

  1. I love this! It's so much fun to see fellow dress-wearers. It's amazing how different we are and the different ways and reasons that we do it while still having one thing in common--one dress. I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of your year! :)

    -Bethany
    (One Dress, One Year, For Freedom)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bethany,
      Thank you for your comment, and congratulations for passing the $6k mark! How inspirational! Your year is ending soon. I'm interested to see what is next for you.

      Delete
  2. If you're nay-saying, please just ignore yourself. I'm so excited to see how this goes for you. While it's probably not something I'd do myself, I have started replacing my clothing with well made and sturdy pieces over the last few years so that my clothing will last much longer and therefore I will consume less. The simplicity of what you're doing is alluring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jordan,
      I hail for the Coos coast as well. Well met.

      Thanks for your comment, and your cheerleading!

      I'm sorry to read of your health troubles,though, and hope you are feeling better.

      Delete
    2. Hey! I just put it together. You must know my brother!

      Delete
  3. I do know your brother. He is one of my very favorite people. We went to high school together. He told me what you were doing because he knew I thought it would be awesome. I'm really looking forward to seeing how it goes. I am feeling much better, thanks. Almost done with the cane, I think I can donate it back to Goodwill once I am a little less fatigued all the time.

    ReplyDelete